Third-party VS OEM Optics – Which to Choose?
Are you in a quandary over which one to choose between Third Party Optics and OEM Optics? First, let us look at their meanings:
Third party optics refers to optical transceiver that is not supplied by the original equipment manufacturer but by a third party vendor who can make the optics with the same specifications as an original equipment manufacturer.
OEM optics refers to a new optics supplied by the Original Equipment Manufacturer.
The difference between Third Party and OEM Optics
The difference is usually the first thing that people consider when making a choice between two things, so we are going to start from there. If you would like to make your choice based on the difference between third-party optics and OEM optics, then I am sorry to disappoint you because there is no big difference between them. The only difference is that because OEM optics are from original manufacturers, they claim higher quality and so sell at a higher price. Therefore, deciding to choose one between Third-party and OEM optics will not seem like a wrong choice since both of them could do the same thing; this makes it quite difficult to know which one to go for between the two.
Now let us look at the advantages of choosing any of them:
Advantages of choosing OEM Optics
1. They are made to the best quality because they are made by the original manufacturer who also supplies them.
2. They are supplied by the original manufacturer and so it gives buyers the impression that they are of better quality.
3. They are compatible with all switches and that is why switches manufacturer always recommend OEM optics for their switches.
4. They have much lower failure rate.
5. You are assured of full equipment warranty for installed OEM optics.
Advantages of choosing Third Party Optics
1. They are much cheaper than the OEM Optics.
2. Buying third-party optics helps you save money and helps you get the right quality on a limited budget.
3. They are of good quality.
4. They are always available and can be delivered quickly.
5. For your special needs, you don’t need to worry about where to get the optics you need because third-party vendors can deliver different customized optics to meet your need.
6. Third party vendors can provide support for many manufacturers.
7. OEM Optics supplier provides support only for their equipment while the third party optics suppliers can provide support for networking equipment from different manufacturers
The question of which one to choose between third-party optics and OEM optics can only be answered by you.
If you are not on a tight budget and a sucker for buying the best quality from only the original manufacturer, then the OEM optics could be a very good choice for you.
On the other hand, if you are on a tight budget, if you want to save money, and if would not mind getting your equipment from another vendor, then third-party optics would be a nice choice.